Nursing Home Abuse Report » Compare Nursing Homes » Questions to Ask About Your Nursing Home
Signs of Elder Abuse
How Can You Tell If Your Loved One is a Victim of Abuse?
Medication, diseases and illness make it difficult to detect signs of elder abuse.
Read common signs of elderly abuse
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION
When you visit to nursing home, make sure you ask certain questions to determine if the nursing home is suitable for your elder relative. Make an appointment to visit the nursing home.
Generally, a staff member will show you around the facility and answer your questions.
You should ask the following questions before choosing a nursing home:
1. Does the nursing home help the resident with the daily routine activities?
2. Does the nursing home provide regular health and dental checkups?
3. Is there a doctor available on call?
4. Are different levels of nursing home care, from assisted living to health care to short term rehabilitation programs, available?
5. How does the nursing home determine the appropriate level of care for each nursing home resident?
6. Are nurses always close at hand?
7. What kind of clothing should a resident wear?
8. What are scheduled activities?
9. What do the residents do between scheduled activities?
10. How do nursing home residents get around in the wheel chairs by themselves?
11. Does the nursing home move residents to new rooms at will?
12. Ask for the nursing home bill of rights
13. Does the staff know the residents by name?
14. What services and amenities does the nursing home provide?
15. What are the nursing home licensing requirements in your state?
16. Ask about the credentials of the staff.
17. Does the nursing home offer training?
18. Are there staff dedicated to the different types of dementia?
19. How many licensed RNs are on staff at all times?
20. Are residents with dementia grouped together in one wing or are they spread out?
21. Is there a Social Services Worker?
22. What do the meals consist of?
23. Can a special diet be implemented?
24. What steps are taken to ensure the proper foods are given to the right residents?
25. What type of services and amenities does the nursing home provide?
26. What steps are in place for emergencies?
27. Are there smoke working detectors and easily reachable fire extinguishers in working condition?
28. Are stairways and exits clearly marked?
29. Are all areas and facilities at the nursing home accessible by wheel chairs?
30. What types of recreational activities and facilities are provided?
31. Does the nursing home provide social, recreational, spiritual, fitness and wellness programs?
32. What kinds of exercise regimes are included?
33. Are the fitness equipments appropriate for residents and easy-to-use?
34. Is there a fitness instructor?
35. What types of social and individual activities are offered?
36. What are the recreational facilities provided - computer room, meditation room, library, craft room, game room or wood shop?
37. Are religious services available?
38. Is the entrance fee refundable?
39. Are Medicare and Medicaid plans accepted?
You need to ask the right questions to assure yourself that you have found a nursing home that will provide the best services and support for elder relative.